How It All Began – Monday 11th May 2009

May 11, 2009

I had taken Barney to the vets on Friday because he’d had diarrhoea for a few days after being wormed. I wasn’t too worried because this had happened the last couple of times he had been wormed but since I am an over-anxious dog owner, I like to get him checked out anyway. On Friday the vet told me to change his food to chicken and rice for a couple of days and that he should be fine. His tummy wasn’t at all tender and he looked as bright as ever.

Monday morning, I woke up and found he was being sick by his bed. It was just bile but I was still worried none-the-less. He’d emptied his bowels in between being sick and me making a vets appointment, which funnily enough was back to normal. I was in two minds as to whether or not I should leave him another day or not and see how he went but I decided to call for an appointment anyway and an hour later, we were at the vets.

I saw the same vet, Martin, a lovely guy from either Australia or New Zealand. He remembered Barney and proceeded to ask questions about what had happened and got down to eye level with Barney to have a look at him.

Before he even got around to having a feel of his tummy, he said, “come here Barnes, what’s that?”

At this point, I had no idea what he was referring to. He then asked my partner and myself how long Barney had had this “lump” in his mouth. As soon as he said the word “lump” I felt light-headed and sick, already thinking the worse.

He explained that he had a black “lump” or “growth” on his gum, but because Barney was excited and had his tongue flopped out, he couldn’t get a good look. I managed to see what he was referring to though and was instantly worried.

I asked what it could be, already knowing the answer… a tumour.

He proceeded to explain that it could be a melanoma or it could be something similar to gum disease. He told us to keep a very close eye on it and that they may want to biopsy it. I asked if they could do that NOW, anyway. He agreed but said that he would wait a few days to be sure his stomach upset had passed and told us to book him in at the front desk. We booked his biopsy for Thursday 14th May 2009.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: